Well today was the day to treat the bees, my package from BeeGreen arrived today. I have placed a wafer in the top of Mokoroa. You break up the wafer into two pieces, but the way I opened up the package it became four pieces 🙂 I closed off the Screened bottom to help the Api Life Var do its thing.
We have had a disastrous winter here with the rain and the mite issues. So we are down to only one hive that is only just hanging on to life. Let’s hope Api Life Var can help the bees with they mite issues.
The bees have plenty of honey, but the brood is very patchy with has some Sac Brood in cells. I spotted the Queen (see photo), but I don’t think she is laying much due to the low amount of bees. The hive only has around 3 or 4 frames of bees.
The hive looks pretty weak with a few bees with DWV (Deformed Wing Virus) and the mite count over that last two days averaging at 67 mites per day. So the hive isn’t doing well sad to say.
Mokoroa was the hive that we re-queened late in the season last year, so very surprised it survived the winter at all.
The Bethells hive we checked last week is Queen less with less than a hand full of bees left, so no point in re-queening that hive.
Will do another mite count in 3 weeks, fingers crossed the Api Life Var will help them out.
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Why should you keep Beekeeping Records with James Wilkes from Hive Tracks – KM106 - April 19, 2017
- Battling for Honey Gold – KM105 - April 5, 2017
- Swarm Trapping bees with a Mobile Swarm Trap – Michael Jordan – KM104 - March 15, 2017