As many of you know the Auckland council has proposed charging bee keepers $190 a year to keep bees in Auckland city. See our other blog post Bee Keeping in Auckland to cost $190???
This is a 100% increase from last years costs. As we currently don't pay any fees to keep bees.
We are going along today to present our objection to this proposal. Bee-keepers don't need to be charged for keeping bees in Auckland city.
I see two problems with this proposal:-
- Charging a fee will drive people underground and people won't register hives with the “AFB – National Pest Management Strategy” fearing that their details will be passed along to the council. This could put New Zealand's multi million dollar honey industry into jeopardy.
- People won't take up bee-keeping because of the increased costs. This would probably drive up the start-up costs of a single hive to around NZ$500. In this recession, household budgets are already stretched enough.
Both of these outcomes are bad news for the bees and you.
We have heard that many bee-keepers have objected to the proposal, so let's hope the council see the benefit of the bees. Not the extra income they can extract from the hard-working bee-keepers.
We will post an update when we have one. If you also going to today's meeting, be sure say “Hello”
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Why should you keep Beekeeping Records with James Wilkes from Hive Tracks – KM106 - April 19, 2017
- Battling for Honey Gold – KM105 - April 5, 2017
- Swarm Trapping bees with a Mobile Swarm Trap – Michael Jordan – KM104 - March 15, 2017