This week we are talking to Ron Miksha from Calgary in Canada. This is Episode One Hundred and Thirteen of our beekeeping podcast.
Welcome To the kiwimana buzz..
Hi, it’s Gary and Margaret here, We are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland, New Zealand. Our podcast is about beekeeping, Gardening and bit of politics about environmental issues. We also have been known to go off on tangents about other issues.
This week we would like to thank Justin Bumpstead
Justin has been supporting the kiwimana buzz for over 3 months
For all your Honey and Honey based products check out Bumpstead Family Apiaries
Thanks for your support!!!
If you also value what we do, please consider supporting us on http://kiwi.bz/banana
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small payment if you make a purchase using these links.
The interview with Ron was recorded in October 2016
Thank you for listening to our show, we know life is busy for you and appreciate you have taken the time to join us today
Ron Miksha is a Writer and Beekeeper from Calgary in Canada. Ron has been involved in Beekeeping for many years as a Commercial Beekeeping and educator. He is the author of the Bad Beekeeping book and blog.
Here is what you will discover (Now with Times!!!)
For your reference we now include times for the conversation points, Some podcast players allow you to click on the times to jump to that section.
- How Ron got started in Beekeeping 02:56
- Ron Goes to University 07:36
- How Ron Produced Comb Honey 08:40
- Why did Ron Change Careers 12:13
- Did the Honey Prices Increase? 13:52
- What Excites Ron About Beekeeping 15:08
- You can't control the weather 20:27
- Calgary is known as cowtown 22:31
- The Bad Beekeeping Blog is 21 years old 24:30
- What are Blogs about? 26:01
- Neonicotinoids causing no issues in Alberta! 26:16
- What types of Crops are Grown in Alberta? 28:18
- Bee Die off in Ontario 30:14
- Why did the Ontario Die off Happen? 32:14
- Are Honey Bees harmful to Native Bees 34:03
- Native Bees added to Endangered List in Hawaii 36:10
- Where does get his ideas for his blog Posts 38:41
- Books that influenced Ron 40:50
- A Heavy Metal Band was Named after Ron? 45:23
- If Ron was a time Traveler – What would he tell his younger self 46:45
- Ron Miksha and Neil Bertram Course 49:00
- The most common questions Ron's Students Ask is? 51:01
- What are Ron's plans for next season 52:47
Resources mentioned in the show
- Ron’s Famous Bad Beekeeping Blog can be found HERE
- Follow Ron on Twitter HERE
- Ron’s Book “Bad Beekeeping” can be found HERE
- Fifty Years Among the Bees – by Dr. C. C. Miller – Get it from Phil’s Website BioBees.com HERE. Or buy a hard copy HERE
- The Joys of Beekeeping by Richard Taylor, can be bought from HERE
- Ron’s Wikipedia Page is HERE
- Miksha the Heavy Metal Band
- Ron’s Beekeeping Business Course – Making Money from Honey
Tell a friend about the showWe would love it if you do us a favour this month, if you enjoyed this show. Please tell one of your friends, that you think would also get value from the show.
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Get the Free App for your phone or Tablet
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via iTunes
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- All Photos courtesy of Ron Miksha
- Slow Burn Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Beekeeping in South Carolina with Beekeeper Charlotte – KM117 - November 20, 2017
- Manuka is a Maori Word (so there) – KM116 - October 29, 2017
- Practical Beekeeping With Roger Patterson – KM115 - October 11, 2017