Hi this is Episode Fifty Nine of our beekeeping podcast, This week we are talking to Cliff Van Eaton from Te Puke in New Zealand.
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
Introduction – Cliff Van Eaton
Cliff Van Eaton is an beekeeping consultant and author. He was born in America, was first introduced to beekeeping while living in Canada, and has now lived in New Zealand for over half of his life.
He is the author of the book “Manuka The Biography Of An Extraordinary Honey” and also the co-author of the Orginal “Elimination of American Foulbood Disease without the use of Drugs” and the “Control of Varroa” book with Dr Mark Goodwin.
Here's What You'll Learn
- A story about how one beekeeper poured Manuka into the sea?
- Manuka honey didn't start as a popular honey at all
- Manuka honey is thixotropic, only one of two in the world.
- The Honey Board used to mix similar honey together
- The Manuka Tree started life in Australia?
- Hunting of the Moa caused more Manaka to grow in New Zealand
- Manuka would have have served at the signing of Treaty of Waitangi
- kiwifriut don't product nectar, so a novel way was developed to get bees to pollinate them.
What Was Mentioned
- Oratia Native Plant Nursery – Great place to get different types of Manuka
- Peter Molan's web site is – http://PeterMolan.com
- Cliffs Recent interview with Kathryn Ryan on Radio NZ, can be found HERE
- Control of Varroa mites free download, can be found HERE
- Book by Peter Barrett – The Immigrant Bees (currently out of print)
Buy the Book
You can buy the book from us, here is the link to this fantastic book:-
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via iTunes
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- The Greatest Beekeeper in Sheffield – We talk to Chris Brown – KM111 - August 9, 2017
- The Hibernation is Over – KM110 - August 2, 2017
- The Hibernation is Over *Extra* – KM110B - August 2, 2017