Bee products are considered to be extremely beneficial for us and our body. Honey, bee pollen and royal jelly – all these have a huge variety of benefits for our health. They contain all the necessary nutrients such as carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins and minerals. Their biological value due to the high content of enzymes, amino acids, antibiotics, hormones etc. Many of these substances bees get from the plants, which in most cases are used in the alternative medicine for healing. Unlike the pharmaceutical preparations in which these plants are used as raw materials, healing substances in bees’ products are found in their natural form. Bee products, and more particularly honey, are a great (and really tasty) way to improve your healthy diet.
And we move on to beekeeping! Since ages beekeeping is popular all over the world. Beekeeping is a really fantastic way to start your own business and earn some extra money. Also, it is a great way to produce honey for you and your family. Beekeeping is easy, although it requires some basic equipment such as a honey extractor, a bee smoker and, of course, beehives!
There are plenty of different beehives. Some of them are a bit more expensive, but much easier to maintain. Others may require some more attention and care. So here is some further information on three of the most commonly used types of beehives:
National BeehiveThis is the first type in our list. The British National Hive is considered to be one of the most commonly used types of beehives in England.
2. Easily assembled;
3. Extremely efficient;
1. In recent years there is a common conception that the brood box of this type of beehives is a bit smaller. A great solution for this is to operate your beehive with another brood box.
This is another very popular type of beehives. Its history dates back to more than a century and a half and it is named after its designer – Rev L. L. Langstroth. The Langstroth Beehive is very popular for hobbyist and commercial use. Especially in New Zealand and North America.
- Easy maintenance;
- Simplified design;
- Ample space between brood chambers and supers;
- Removable frames, which make inspecting and dividing the bees much easier;
- This type of beehives can be reused.
1. This type do not have some significant disadvantages. However, while doing your regular bee inspection, you may disturb the bees a bit more than if you are using another type of beehive. This is due to the design of this type.
Top-Bar Beehives are another popular type. They are very widely spread mainly because they are very simple to make. They will not cost you neither much money, nor some special efforts.
2. It can be very easily located;
3. Significantly less disturbance during the bee inspection;
4. Contributes to the production of high quality honey.
1. Compared to the previous two types, Top-Bar Beehives produce more beeswax and significantly less honey;
2. After every inspection bees need to rebuild their combs;
3. Because of the open design of the beehive, the combs are constantly exposed to the weather conditions.
What type of Beehive do you use and can you add anything to above?