Well after seeing the Queen Cells in Honey1, I wanted to check Goldie. I didn’t finish the inspection last week because the Bees stop play by stinging me four times.
After listening to an Episode of The Organic Beekeeper podcast http://somdbeekeeper.com. I was inspired to try again, this time with a more calm and collected way.
I worked very slowly and calmly, I removed the two supers and then the upper brood, to work on the lower brood. The Upper brood is a full-sized box; I think the next hive I setup will have a ¾ upper brood. Much easier to lift off and move, hence less Bee Deaths when I put it back on the hive.
Anyway it went well and no Queen Cells found in the lower Brood, so all good. No need to do an artificial swarm that I had read up about.
I spotted some new eggs, the first time I have seen them in our Bee Keeping adventure, I then proceeded to drop this frame. Hopefully the Queen wasn’t on the frame, I couldn’t see her anyway. Hopefully she was in the upper brood and it all ok.
I only got one sting, when I was picking up the upper brood to put the hive back together. Which I have put some honey on.
So the calm approach seems to make the Bees less stressed, I must say in my opinion using a Bee Brush does annoy the Bees. Also I want to get a frame handle to make extracted the frames easier. I found that the Bees kept walking where I want to put my hands.
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Summer Awesomeness in New Zealand Beekeeping – KM118 - December 8, 2017
- Beekeeping in South Carolina with Beekeeper Charlotte – KM117 - November 20, 2017
- Manuka is a Maori Word (so there) – KM116 - October 29, 2017