Well took my chances today in between the Auckland Rain showers to inspect one of the hives. Today I inspected Honey 1.
Honey one had three brood boxes that I have reduced down to two and put in 2 Apistan strips in each brood box. Here's hoping that these knock back the Varroa mites a little.
I also put on a new baseboard, one of my new screened bottom boards that I finally finished. It looks nice and bright being recently painted white
Also put in an inspection tray to check if any Varroa mites are killed in the next 24 hours.
The bees were getting a little aggressive towards the end, as I suspect it was getting cold. So I didn't do a full check of the bottom level. There was no brood in the upper brood.
Its important that the strips are removed in 6-8 weeks, so will remove these in six weeks.
Will try and do the Goldie hive tomorrow.
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Summer Awesomeness in New Zealand Beekeeping – KM118 - December 8, 2017
- Beekeeping in South Carolina with Beekeeper Charlotte – KM117 - November 20, 2017
- Manuka is a Maori Word (so there) – KM116 - October 29, 2017