Well it was a nice day in the hills of West Auckland, so it was time to do the second sugar shake treatment on Honey 1. I made it a bit easier this time, I sieved all the icing sugar or (powdered sugar for our American readers) in the Kitchen beforehand. So I only took down a plastic container and a measuring cup to the apiary.
The bees were in good form and looked like small white ghosts flying around afterwards. I also checked the half drone frame in the lower brood (B1), it didn’t have any drones in it
I removed one box of ¾ frames from the hive to start reducing it down for winter, these were the frames that we extracted a few weeks back. Left two ¾ boxes on the hive, most of them are 70% – 80% capped, so we are just waiting for them to be capped by the bees. Then we will be able to extract some honey for our winter cups of tea :D.
We will do the final treatment next weekend, and then wait ten days before we do another mite count. If this knocks the mites back enough, we can skip using chemicals in our hive this year. Ross Conrod would be proud of our efforts.