This week we are chatting with Michael Young from Northern Ireland. You can download the podcast directly from HERE, or click on the play button above. This is Episode Forty Three of our beekeeping podcast.
Michael Young is a Beekeeper from Northern Ireland, who is also the current chairman of the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers and was awarded the MBE in 2009, for voluntary services to beekeeping. He loves bees and is addicted to making mead? Michael is also an Executive Chef at the Hilton Hotel.
Linda Tillman did a great post about Michael's encaustic painting talk:-
Michael Young on encaustic painting
Things you will Learn from this chat with Michael
- Never Move a Hive at night without a roof on it
- The average beekeeper in Northern Island only has four hives
- What is the length of the bee season in Northern Ireland
- Ling Heather is the best honey in the world, Ling Honey comes from the Calluna plant
- Only six people in Ireland have Langstroth hives
- The national hive is the worse hive in the world
- You can't move bees from Southern Ireland into Northern Ireland
- An AFB Spore can last 100 years in old gear
- The bees have a world wide web inside the hives
- Why you should never use Banana Oil in your bee hives.
In 2009 Michael received the MBE for for voluntary services to beekeeping.
Here are some Recipes using Honey by Michael Young
Recipes using Honey by Michael Young
An great book:- Infectious Diseases of the Honey-bee – Leslie Bailey *Currently out of print
Who Brought bees into New Zealand:-
1839 Honey Bees Brought to NZ
One of Michael's favorite Books
The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism by Jürgen Tautz
Hobas – HoneyBee Online Studies
The Honey Bee online Studies web site is at:- http://www.hobos.de/en. A great resource for teaching children about bees.
PowerPoint Presentations Michael Mentioned
We also located an interesting Guide to Essential Oils for Beekeeping:-
Guide to Essential Oils for Beekeeping
Phil Chandler's Website:-
Liked what your heard?….Please to Subscribe to our Podcast
Subscribe using iTunes
If you use iTunes, simply click on the iTunes button to subscribe to our podcast. After that, iTunes will automatically update with new episodes. You can play the episodes right on your computer, or connect to your iPod and iTunes will automatically download the episodes so you can take them with you to play anytime.
Subscribe using RSS
Some Podcatcher programs require a RSS feed. This is the kiwimana Buzz's RSS feed:-
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Swarm Trapping bees with a Mobile Swarm Trap – Michael Jordan – KM104 - March 15, 2017
- Slow go on the Honey Flow – KM103 - March 1, 2017
- Saving the Bees in Australia with Simon Mulvany – KM102 - February 15, 2017