This week we are talking to Randy Oliver from California in North America. This is Episode Sixty One of our beekeeping podcast,
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
As we all our interviews the views expressed by our guests are the views of our guests, and don’t necessary revert the views of kiwimana.
We also have a full text transcription of this interview available here:-
Randy Oliver – Transcription
Randy started as a hobbyist beekeeper in 1967. Then went to study biological sciences, specializing in entomology at University.
He uses his Scientific background to investigate current issues facing bees and beekeepers. Randy also writes for the American Bee Journal since 2006
Randy has around 1000 hives that he runs with his two sons in the Grass Valley area of northern California.
Randy also runs the popular website Scientific Beekeeping
Here’s What You Will Learn
- Randy Oliver does a lot of field trials for companies. He is supported by donations from beekeepers and business’s.
- How Randy got started in Beekeeping with a Diving Mask.
- What does Randy enjoy about beekeeping
- The Internet doesn’t have any editors
- Don’t give up on a new treatment that you have only use once. Check that you are using it correctly for your conditions.
- What are Randy’s Top three ways to control varroa mites
- Stay away from the CheckMite treatment, it’s nasty stuff.
- Does America have a true Varroa resistant bee yet?
- How Randy keeps his combs fresh
- Randy’s thoughts on what causes ‘CCD’
- Randy’s thoughts about neonicotinoid pesticides
- According to Randy, Why is the Anti-GMO movement misguided
- Randy’s plans for next season
What Was Mentioned
- Randy’s Favorite book “Beekeeping Tips and Topics by Elbert R. Jaycox”
- Francis Saucy: Study small cell beekeeping incorrectly in the Journal of Apiculture Research 2014, can be found HERE
- UC Davis report on GMO Livestock can be found HERE
- New Zealand story about Cow Deaths Linked to Swedes
- Working group has since been setup to investigate cow deaths, more info HERE
In January The organic view hosted a discussion between Randy Oliver and Walter Haefeker “President of the European Professional Beekeepers Association” on the topic of Neonicotinoids. This is well worth a listen:-
A Discussion About Neonicotinoids And Bee Losses
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via iTunes
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher