We went along to the Auckland bee club meeting, it was Rocky’s turn to car pool so we went along in his Land rover to the club rooms. The usual access to the car park was sealed off with a chain today, so it was lucky we came in the Land rover for a bit[…]Read More
Hi everyone, was playing around with Microsoft movie maker and created this small video of our Apiary. The video is from Dec 2009, but the Apiary hasn’t changed much since then anyway. Thanks….Gary [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14jwWp0eTZo&hl=en_GB&fs=1&]
We checked the bottom board and we discovered seven Varroa mites in Goldie, which is a very low count for this time of year but we must keep an eye on these little mites. We also need to work out a way to control their numbers without using chemicals, not keen to use any chemicals[…]Read More
Today we did an inspection on the Goldie hive, we checked the two supers, the new one that we added last time has been drawn out but not much Nectar. There was no condensation at all today, I suspect that the hole in the lid liner is making a difference, Margaret doesn’t agree but that’s[…]Read More
We did a count of Varroa is the Goldie hive over the last twenty four hours there was approx 280 that had fallen onto our sticky board, we will need to get some treatment strips into the hive in the next week or so. We first must reduce the hive down to two brood boxes.
After the last inspection of Honey 2 and discovering that the hive didn’t have a functioning Queen, we decided that the best approach was to merge the hive with Honey 1. Thus making Honey 3 (only kidding). We thought this would the best way for the remaining Bees to live longer and join they old[…]Read More
Weather in the Waitakere is no good today, some parts of the North Island have flooding and weather warnings. So no Bee inspections today alas, I will go down later on and check all is well in the Bee Land, but its much too wet to open hives.
saw the plans for this on http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htmand deciding to make it. Made up 10 ¾ frames the other day much quicker than the old method, I would recommend anyone to make one up. Especially if you are using wooden frames and need to make up a few of them. The site above shows some photos[…]Read More
I did a full inspection of the new merged hive today and all looked great, did spot a varroa mite on the back of one of the workers. So will have to treat for them when the supers are all off. As described last week, the hive has three brood boxes and a super on[…]Read More
Hi Everyone, sorry the gap between blog entries. Today I did a full inspection of Goldie and the hive is going well, it has five supers on top of two brood boxes. It also had a full size super on top from that last extraction that we did a couple of weeks ago. Margaret is[…]Read More
Yesterday we inspected the Goldie hive, just checked the supers. We were keen to see how the girls got on with capping some more frames of honey. (Double click on the images to enlarge) We managed to find only three frames that had over 80% capped honey on both sides, so we convinced the girls[…]Read More
Well after seeing the Queen Cells in Honey1, I wanted to check Goldie. I didn’t finish the inspection last week because the Bees stop play by stinging me four times. After listening to an Episode of The Organic Beekeeper podcast http://somdbeekeeper.com. I was inspired to try again, this time with a more calm and collected[…]Read More