Posted on

Honey 1 – Inspecting the merged hive

I did a full inspection of the new merged hive today and all looked great, did spot a varroa mite on the back of one of the workers.  So will have to treat for them when the supers are all off. As described last week, the hive has three brood boxes and a super on…

Read more

Posted on

Varroa Count from Goldie

We checked the bottom board and we discovered seven Varroa mites in Goldie, which is a very low count for this time of year but we must keep an eye on these little mites.owh yuck what are they? We also need to work out a way to control their numbers without using chemicals, not keen…

Read more

Posted on

Goldie Inspection…More Supers???

Time to inspect Goldie today, it was a hot day in the hills today with no rain so decided to inspect while I could.  It was windy but very calm in the Bee Garden area. The hive now has two full broods and three supers on top, all the supers have been drawn out with…

Read more

Posted on

Our First Extraction

Yesterday we inspected the Goldie hive, just checked the supers.  We were keen to see how the girls got on with capping some more frames of honey. (Double click on the images to enlarge) We managed to find only three frames that had over 80% capped honey on both sides, so we convinced the girls…

Read more

Posted on

New Frame Jig

saw the plans for this on http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htmand deciding to make it. Made up 10 ¾ frames the other day much quicker than the old method, I would recommend anyone to make one up. Especially if you are using wooden frames and need to make up a few of them. The site above shows some photos…

Read more

Posted on

Goldie Inspection Part 2

Well after seeing the Queen Cells in Honey1, I wanted to check Goldie. I didn’t finish the inspection last week because the Bees stop play by stinging me four times. After listening to an Episode of The Organic Beekeeper podcast http://somdbeekeeper.com. I was inspired to try again, this time with a more calm and collected…

Read more

Posted on

Screened bottom board, We made our first one

The new bottom Board

I finished our new Screened bottom board today, I added a Varroa Mite inspection mat that is just a piece of plastic. Part of the same sheet of plastic that is also the roof of our NUC box. The mat can be speared with a thin layer of Vaseline and then the mites get stuck…

Read more