This is Episode One Hundred and Seventeen of our beekeeping podcast. This week we are talking to the Charlotte Anderson from South Carolina.
We are Gary and Margaret, we love Honeybees, we are kiwimana and we are Beekeepers who live in the Waitakere Ranges, on the Wild West coast of Auckland, in New Zealand.
kiwimana is a place where the beekeeping community can share a conversation and connect.
..we also – as if that wasn't enough – build and sell beekeeping supplies, we teach beginner Beekeepers and provide beekeeper services and advice. And we also run the “Bees Knees Club” Facebook group
This podcast was made possible thanks to our Patrons, especially this month we would like to thank Dr Malcolm Sanford
Malcom have been supporting the kiwimana buzz since October 2017
Check out Malcolm's Beekeeping newsletter ‘Apis Information Resource News' HERE
Thanks for your support!!!
The interview was recorded in Oct 2017
Charlotte Anderson is the first Female Master Beekeeper from South Carolina, she is also a Blogger and a Teacher. In 2012 she was named Beekeeper of the year in South Carolina. We talk about how she keeps bees successfully in the hot climate of South Carolina.
Here is what you will discover (Now with Times!!!)
For your reference we now include times for the conversation points, Some podcast players allow you to click on the times to jump to that section.
- How to avoid getting stung 02:18
- What is Charlotte ‘s three strike policy 03:00
- Why is keeping Beekeepng records so important 03:38
- What help beekeepers become better beekeepers 04:40
- What is Beekeepers Biggest Problem 05:22
- Everybody doesn't need to be a Beekeeper 06:35
- This not GrandPa's Beekeeping 07:23
- Does Charlotte have issues with Small Hive Beetles 07:43
- Wax Moths are not much fun 09:09
- What inspired Charlotte to start beekeeping? 09:22
- Are Bees Adapting to Varroa Mites in the South East? 13:43
- How does Charlotte treat her Bees with Oxalic Acid 16:44
- What's the biggest issue facing beekeepers in South Carolina 17:24
- Flowers don't always mean lots of nectar 18:25
- Sugar is never as good the Bees own Honey 20:23
- Does Charlotte encourage other people to pursue the Master Beekeeper program 20:44
- Charlotte tells us about her new online Beekeeping course 24:15
- Are Pesticides an issue in South Carolina? 28:55
- Varroa Mites and Weak Queen are an issue, find out why? 29:43
- Does Open feeding increases the risk of American Foulbrood? 36:08
- Front Feeders are quite a good way to get your hive robbed out 38:02
- A suit with Ice Packs in it! 39:22
- Getting stung in the eye can make you blind 41:28
- Pulling down your pants isn't always the best way to go 43:57
- What is Charlotte's funniest Beekeeping story 45:30
- What the plan for the next Beekeeping Season? 51:50
- How to follow Charlotte's work 55:49
- End of the Show 57:34
Resources mentioned in the show
- Charlotte’s Webpage is:- www.carolinahoneybees.com
- Charlotte’s E-Book
- Be A Beekeeper-Online Beekeeping
For you, Social Media Beekeepers Follow Charlotte Here:-
- Charlottes Amazing Facebook Group “Carolina Honeybees Help For Beginner Beekeepers”
If you enjoyed this show, then please subscribe to the show in your podcast app or even download our free App that is available for Phones and Tablets.
Please Subscribe to the ShowSo did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- Jazz guitar #5 109bpm.wav by Sub-d via FreeSound
- AM Radio Newsman » ‘and now a Word from our sponsors' by Timbre via FreeSound.org
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Things You Need To Know About Mad Honey *Bonus Buzz* – KM131B - December 19, 2018
- Christmas Time in the Bee Yard – KM131 - December 10, 2018
- Telling the Bees *Bonus Buzz* – KM130B - November 14, 2018