Post Updated on
This week we are talking about Beekeeping in Wellington with Frank Lindsay. This is Episode Eighty Six of our beekeeping podcast. This interview was recorded on 4 Feb 2015.
This executive producers for this months show are Aaron and Lauren Jennings from Jennings Apiaries
Thanks to all our patreon supporters and big shout out to Gavin Webber in Australia from the Greening of Gavin Podcast, check out his site HERE
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
Welcome To the kiwimana buzz…
Hi, it's Gary and Margaret here, We are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland, New Zealand. Our podcast is about beekeeping, Gardening and bit of politics about environmental issues. We also have been known to go off on tangents about other issues.
Frank Lindsay is a Commercial Beekeeper from Wellington in New Zealand along with his wife he runs Lindsay's Apiaries. Frank is a columnist to the New Zealand Beekeeper magazine and was awarded a life membership of the NBA in 2004.
Frank has been involved in beekeeping for over forty five years, and started beekeeping when he was 24 years old.
Here is what you will discover
- How Frank Started Beekeeping with a Robbing Frenzy
- How you can avoid your Children becoming allergic to bees
- What sort of Honey can you expect in the Wellington Area
- How does Frank Breed new Queens
- There are no ACC regulations for beekeeping weights.
- What does Whiteywood, Mahoe (Melicytus ramiflorus) smell like
- How to knock back Chalk Brood with Bananas
- New Zealand got the Deformed wing virus from Carniolan Sperm
- How to vaporzie a mesh bottom colony using a bag
- Middle Entrances in Top Bars don't work in Wellington
- How you tell so much from the sounds in the colony
Resources mentioned in the show
Franks Business web page is HERE
Our interview with Michael Bush is HERE
Our Oxalic Acid Vaporizer
Franks articles in the Beekeeper Magazine is HERE
Story about Franks Son Allergy to bees “Dad's occupation has deadly consequences”
Books Frank Recommends
Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health
by Richard E. Bonney, Malcolm T. Sanford
Fifty years among Bees
by C C Miller
The Illustrated Australasian Bee Manual And Complete Guide to Modern Bee Culture in the Southern Hemisphere
by Isaac Hopkins (Author)
Some of these can be downloaded free from:-
Cornell University Library Catalog
A large collection here of old books hosted on archive.org, can be found HERE
Please Subscribe to the ShowSo did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Q and A –Finding Bees and stopping wasps – KM143 - May 22, 2019
- Beekeeping in the Hawkes Bay with Beekeeper John Berry – KM142 - May 12, 2019
- Oh Dear…Burglar covered in Bee Stings – KM141 - April 28, 2019