This is Episode One Hundred and twenty of our beekeeping podcast.
We are Gary and Margaret, we love Honey bees, we are kiwimana and we are Beekeepers who live in the Waitakere Ranges, on the Wild West coast of Auckland, in New Zealand.
kiwimana is a place where the beekeeping community can share a conversation and connect and in this episode we talk to Travis Ulbrich Better known as Yappy Beeman from Alabama in North America.
…we also – as if that wasn't enough – build and sell beekeeping supplies, we teach beginner Beekeepers and provide beekeeper services and advice. And we are the “Beesknees Club Facebook group”
Great to have you joining us, we know life is busy for you so we appreciate that you have taken the time to join us today – thanks so much for beeing part of the kiwimana buzz,
This podcast was made possible thanks to our Patrons, especially this month we would like to thank Matthew Taylor
Matthew has been supporting the kiwimana buzz since December 2016
We hope all is well in Maryland for you.
Thanks for your support!!!
The interview was recorded in October 2017
Thank you for listening to our show, we know life is busy for you and appreciate you have taken the time to join us today
Travis Ulbrich is a Beekeeper and Fireman from Alabama, he is a well known Bee Rescuer that is often seen on his Yappy Beeman YouTube Channel. He is also one of founding Bee Hooligans on the Bee Smart podcast.
We talk to Yappy about his Philosophy about removing and keeping Honey Bees in Alabama. This show is full of some amazing Beekeeping and Bee removal tips.
Here is what you will discover
For your reference we now include times for the conversation points, Some podcast players allow you to click on the times to jump to that section.
- What does Yappy think of Treatment Free Beekeeping 00:02:40
- Message from Estonia about Yappy's Videos 00:04:26
- The Origin of Beesifrus (The Original Beekeeper!) 00:06:41
- How did you get started in beekeeping 00:10:43
- There are easier ways to get your bees than a cutout 00:15:14
- What did Yappy Learn about Swarms at Bud gathering 00:18:11
- Has Yappy Heard of those Audio Swarm Detectors ? 00:20:48
- Are any other members of Yappy's family involved in Beekeeping? 00:22:54
- Does Yappy ever wear a veil? 00:24:37
- Have africanized bees reached Alabama yet? 00:26:46 ***
- When cutting a wall around bees, does the vibration annoy them? 00:33:25
- Does Yappy have any funny Beekeeping experiences 00:35:04
- If Yappy could travel back in time, what would he tell himself? 00:41:55
- Does Yappy Reframe Honey Frames from Cutouts 00:45:33
- How do you tell when a honey flow is on 00:50:08
- Why is it so important to develop your own Beekeeping Management Program 00:52:20
- Why Beekeepers need a second job to support it 00:59:12
- Why a package of bees is probably not a good place to start Treatment Free Beekeeping 00:59:56
- How can you get in touch with Yappy? 01:06:53
*** – See more about this the africanized bee's history and movement HERE
Resources mentioned in the show
- Yappy Beeman YouTube Channel
- Yappy’s Bee Removal Company
- Yappys Bee Chat on Facebook page is HERE
- You can email HERE
- Yappy useds a Colorado Bee Vac
- Yappy Plays Kenny on The South Park Show
Video: Future Beekeeper Helps Catch A Swarm Of Honey Bees
If you enjoyed this show, then please subscribe to the show in your podcast app or even download our free App that is available for Phones and Tablets.
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- ST Slide guitar blues riff 1.wav by juskiddink
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- How do you tell the difference between Manuka and Kanuka? - September 19, 2018
- Use Fire to Remove Bees and Your House *Bonus* – KM127B - September 12, 2018
- Springtime for Down Under Beekeepers – KM127 - September 4, 2018