This is Episode One Hundred and twenty nine of our beekeeping podcast. This week we are talking to Nigel Costley from Nelson.
We are Gary and Margaret, we love Honey bees, we are kiwimana and we are Beekeepers who live in the Waitakere Ranges, on the Wild West coast of Auckland, in New Zealand.
kiwimana is a place where the beekeeping community can share a conversation and connect.
..we also – as if that wasn't enough – build and sell beekeeping supplies, we teach beginner Beekeepers and provide beekeeper services and advice. And we are the “beesknees” Club, Facebook group
Great to have you joining us, we know life is busy for you so we appreciate that you have taken the time to join us today – thanks so much for beeing part of the kiwimana buzz,
Barbara has been supporting the kiwimana buzz since March 2018
We hope all is well over in New South Wales for you and your bees.
Thanks for your support !!!
The interview was recorded on 1 September 2018 The First Day of Spring in New Zealand
Nigel Costley has been a Beekeeper for over forty years. He is also Beekeeping Tutor and freelance journalist and is based in Nelson in New Zealand. He is also the host of the popular Beesotted Podcast.
He is unofficially known as Nelson's Top Bee bore 🙂
Here is what you will discover (Now with Times!!!)
- How did Nigel become Nelsons Bee Bore 00:02:58
- What do you love about about bees? 00:04:21
- How did you first get started as a beekeeper? 00:05:40
- Is Andrew Matheson a Diplomat Now? 00:06:45
- Nigels Beekeeping course at Taratahi 00:07:51
- Do you think New Zealand will ever be AFB Free? 00:09:23
- Do you think we will see a varroa Resistant bee in New Zealand 00:10:22
- Nigel has been inspired by Ron Hoskins 00:12:06
- Nelson doesn't have manuka madness yet 00:19:19
- Does Nigel Think unlicensed Hives are a problem 00:20:16
- 22 unregistered dead hives found in Auckland 00:21:32
- People don't know what AFB Looks like 00:22:48
- Gadgets in Beekeeping – A good thing? 00:22:52
- Nigel was involved when varroa first arrived in the South Island 00:26:35
- How did Varroa mites arrive in Auckland 00:31:04
- Where are kiwimana's Hives located? 00:31:55
- When is season 2 of Nigels Podcast coming out? 00:33:10
- Nick Wallingford podcast from 2006 00:34:06
- Do you have a funny beekeeping experience that you would like to share with our listeners? 00:35:05
- Ways to help prevent Anaphylactic shock in Children 00:40:59
- All people that report swarms are allergic to bees stings 00:42:44
- What's the biggest issue facing beekeeping In Nelson? 00:44:34
- How do you get in touch with Nigel? 00:47:20
Resources mentioned in the show
- You will find the BeeSotted podcast HERE
- Nigel's teaches beekeeping at Taratahi in Nelson, find more details HERE
- Nigel's first Beekeeping Teacher was Andrew Mathesons, His book is Practical Beekeeping in New Zealand – 5th Edition, you get a copy HERE
- Tom Seeleys Study :- Life-history traits of wild honey bee colonies living in forests around Ithaca, NY, USA
- Ron Hoskins work on VSH Bees, find out more HERE
- Beekeeper investigated after discovery of 22 dead hives in Auckland, read the story HERE
- Shock at teen's death from sting, story HERE
- Our interview with Frank Lindsay from Wellington
- Vespex Wasp Poison
- The Nelson Beekeepers club is HERE
You can email Nigel here:-
Gary’s Key Takeaways
- In some areas of New Zealand 48% of colonies are not registered?
- Maybe a population of feral bees can help the bees deal with mites.
- Goats and bees are not good combination
If you enjoyed this show, then please subscribe to the show in your podcast app.
We recommend Podcast Addict on Android. Visit HERE to discover ways to subscribe
Please Subscribe to the ShowSo did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- Get Outside! – Jason Farnham (No Copyright Music)
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Creating a Water Source for Bees - April 6, 2019
- Thousands of Bees Killed in Lyttelton – KM140 - March 30, 2019
- Chicken Coops and Bee Hives for the Future – KM139 - March 17, 2019