Karen Bean is married to Ian and lives in the Marple Falls, which in Washington State in America. She runs a beekeeping operation called Brookfield Bees and Honey and has also runs successful blog from her off Grid Farm.
Karen is the beekeeper at Brookfield Farm Bees and Honey and she blogs at Brookfield Farm Bees and Honey
In this chat you will learn:-
- How how to run a blog from an off Grid Farm.
- Keeping Bees in America without using Antibiotics
- How a lot of Beeswax products in the US have American Foul Brood (AFB) in them.
- Why starting with smaller depth boxes may be a better option for you.
Resources mentioned in the chat with Karen
Read more about Professor Penny Amy's work on American Foul Brood on Karen's site here:-
Phages that attack American Fould Brood – field test
The treatment mentioned by Karen in the Blue container is Apiguard.
Randy Oliver's Scientific beekeeping Website.
David Yanke and Rachel Kearney Carniolan Queen Breeders in New Zealand:-
Daykel Apiaries – Home of Southern Cross Carniolans
Kevin Inglin's discussion about helping the bees access honey in the hive over winter “Honey Tunnels” :- BK Corner – Where Good Ideas Come From
I had a great time talking to Karen on a late night in Washington State, we hope you enjoy the show. She is an interesting guest, so sit back and enjoy.
*** This was recorded via a phone line, so sorry about the wavy quality in some parts ***
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- How do you tell the difference between Manuka and Kanuka? - September 19, 2018
- Use Fire to Remove Bees and Your House *Bonus* – KM127B - September 12, 2018
- Springtime for Down Under Beekeepers – KM127 - September 4, 2018