Post Updated on
This week we are talking to Roger Patterson from West Sussex in the United Kingdom. This is Episode One Hundred and fifteen of our beekeeping podcast.
Welcome To the kiwimana buzz..
Hi, it’s Gary and Margaret here, We are beekeepers from the hills of the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland, New Zealand. Our podcast is about beekeeping, Gardening and bit of politics about environmental issues. We also have been known to go off on tangents about other issues.
This week we would like to thank MeadDrinkr Tysen
They have been supporting the kiwimana buzz since October 2016
Tysen has a podcast all about Making Mead, over HERE
Thanks for your support!!!
If you also value what we do, please consider supporting us on http://kiwi.bz/banana
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small payment if you make a purchase using these links.
The interview with Roger was recorded in October 2016
Thank you for listening to our show, we know life is busy for you and appreciate you have taken the time to join us today
Roger Patterson has been beekeeping since 1963, he is from West Sussex in the United Kingdom. He is also the author of the book “Beekeeping – A Practical Guide”. He is a practical beekeeper, concentrating on the basics and keeping things simple. He is also the current president of the Wisborough Green Division of the West Sussex Beekeepers Association
Here is what is in the show (Now with Times)
- Are they any differences in how people keep bees in England 02:51
- How Roger got started in beekeeping 06:39
- Does Roger still keep WBC Hives? 08:41
- Do Bees really care about Hive Types? 09:44
- A concrete Top Bar Hive 11:25
- How does Roger feel about knowing the most famous dog in Beekeeping 13:52
- Can Nell Detect AFB in hives 15:35
- Are any of Rogers Family involved in Beekeeping? 17:28
- Have Rogers students changed since the 1970's 19:22
- Was everyone was a natural Beekeeper? 22:28
- Beekeepers in England did use chemicals before Varroa Mites 22:38
- Do EFB and AFB Look Similar??? 24:19
- Is it hard to maintain Dave Cushmans Website? 27:08
- How does Roger do the Punch Cell Queen Rearing Method 28:07
- What is the Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association 32:17
- Is the British Black Bee used in the Breeding Programs 35:31
- What's the best Bee for your local Area? 37:11
- Importing Bees isn't the best idea 38:05
- Bees are being imported from Hawaii to Canada 39:29
- What would Roger Tell a Young Roger About Beekeeping 40:27
- What are common mistakes new Beekeepers are making? 41:40
- Why Observation is so important in Beekeeping 43:54
- Observation helped Roger find ‘Chronic bee paralysis virus' 44:28
- What is the best Beekeeping Book? 46:35
- A Mistake a lot of Beekeeping Teachers Make 47:57
- What is Rogers Plans for Next Season? 51:24
- How do you get in touch with Roger? 52:54
Resources mentioned in the show
- Good Article:- Poor mated Queens
- Dave Cushman website that Roger manages now is HERE
- Article about Punch Cell Queen Rearing is HERE
- Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association
- Rogers Book “Beekeeping – A Practical Guide – Roger Patterson” can be purchased HERE
- Rogers beekeeping club is Wisborough Green Division
- Chronic bee paralysis virus
Our NewsletterWould you love to get an email telling you when we publish new podcasts and blog posts? Please signup to our FREE newsletter HERE
Please Subscribe to the ShowSo did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- Slow Burn Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
- Photos courtesy of the Isle of Man Beekeepers Federation
- Main Photo courtesy of Roger Patterson
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Disappointment All Round – KM144 - June 5, 2019
- Q and A –Finding Bees and stopping wasps – KM143 - May 22, 2019
- Beekeeping in the Hawkes Bay with Beekeeper John Berry – KM142 - May 12, 2019