Posted on

Screened bottom board, We made our first one

I finished our new Screened bottom board today, I added a Varroa Mite inspection mat that is just a piece of plastic. Part of the same sheet of plastic that is also the roof of our NUC box.

The mat can be speared with a thin layer of Vaseline and then the mites get stuck on the board, which makes it easier to count them and also prevent them climbing back into the hive.

Hopefully it will be a chemical free way of controlling Varroa.

We will have to see if the Bee’s like the new base board, hopefully the new NUC will take off and this can be its base board.


Gary Fawcett

Gary enjoys designing new kiwimana products which we sell through our on-line shop.He is passionate about saving the Bees and encouraging urban beekeeping.Gary loves to write about issues that affect the Bees and our environment.He is also into tramping/walking in the beautiful New Zealand bush.
Liked it? Take a second to support kiwimana on Patreon!

Share this with your friends

3 thoughts on “Screened bottom board, We made our first one

  1. Hi there, thanks for dropping into my blog – it is great to find more kiwis blogging about bees – we are few and far between !!
    You sound like you are enjoying this amazing journey with the bees – I love it and admit, without shame, that I am totally obsessed ..
    Feel free to leave comments or ask questions, I will try and help as much as I can.

    1. Thanks Marcia for the comments, yes I don’t think there are a lot of Kiwi’s blogging about Bees. Something we will have to change 🙂

  2. Heh my screened bases look much rougher than yous! But they work… I use vege oil smeared over my plastic boards rather than vaseline… is easy with a basting brush, seems to work and is probably cheaper… =) Still not very good at counting mites though haha put the boards in today so will check tomorrow…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *