Hi this is Episode Sixty Eight of our beekeeping podcast, This week we are talking about Bee-Friendly Gardens, Naked People and you want to be a Beekeeper?
You can download the podcast directly HERE, or click on the play button above. Feel free to share it with your friends.
What's happening at kiwimana
- Thanks so much for the donation Jim
- We have set up a Patreon account? You can find our's HERE
- Met Bob from Bobs beekeeping in Melbourne
- Extracting Honey and treating bees
- Courses started
- Out of action with flu:-
@kiwimanabuzz No podcasts lately? My drive to work is so much less interesting without them.
— Beekeeping Scotland (@BeekeepingScot) April 5, 2015
- Treatments underway in the kiwimana HQ apiary and wintering down the hives in New Zealand
Blog Recap – Top three Blog Posts Last Month
Apitherapy News: Propolis May Help Treat Cancer
Propolis has been shown to inhibit cancer cells on many forms of cancer. Does the explain why bees are not dying of cancer?
Propolis has shown efficacy against brain, head and neck, skin, breast, liver, pancreas, kidney, bladder, prostate, colon and blood cancers.
Creating a Bee-Friendly Garden
A great article about how you can help the bees even if you are unable to keep bees. This could be a great link for all your friends that don’t have bees yet.
- Creating Homes for Your Honeybees – homes for other pollinators
- Bee Feeder – using sugar never feed them honey
- Hydration Station – provide sources of water
- Sources of Pollen – provide bee friendly flowers
- We are selling Seeds now!!!
Another practical way to help restore bee colonies in your area is to create a bee-friendly garden. By providing shelter, food, and water, you can help the bees in your neighborhood to thrive.
Incredible images of people drenched in honey
Waste of honey or stunning art, what do you think? These are part of Blake Little’s latest project called “Preserved”.
The award-winning photographer “Blake Little” has shot a series of portraits of men, women, children, and even a dog, drenched in honey, and the results are truly a thing of wonder.
Your feedback on the naked people
@pasechnik_ru from Russia what a dreadful waste of honey! Taking it to eat is one thing but to waste disgusting
Marika – Sad and Bizzare
Julio’s first day as a beekeeper
Great segment from a local news show in New Zealand “Campbell Live”, where a reporter spent the day with a beekeeper.
Manuka trial has eye on the money
Comvita is behind a program to reuse land that can’t be farmed to produced high UMF factor Manuka Honey.
Backers of a trial involving high performance manuka trees hope it will provide a credible land use alternative for farmers on marginal hill country land.
So, You Want to Be a Beekeeper?
Two great articles about things to consider before starting beekeepers, the summary is:-
- Lifting – Can you lift 11 kg (25 pounds)
- Type of hive
- Prepared to talk to your neighbours
- Read books
- Bee stings
- Start up costs
- Legal – Is your area zoned for beekeeping?
Questions from you…
- How To Prepare A Beehive For Winter In New Zealand – Ron
- How to do foundation-less frames – Justina
- What to use for foundationless frames – Vanessa
Our interview with Michael Bush can be found HERE
- What types of bee hives are available in New Zealand – Justin
If you have a question, email us at zn.oc.anamiwiknull@ofni and the team at kiwimana will do our best to answer it.
Blog Post Coming Soon
- Treatment Free Beekeeping with Solomon Parker – KM069
- How To Prepare A Beehive For Winter In New Zealand
- What types of bee hives are available in New Zealand
- How To Extract Honey Without An Honey Extractor
Feedback from you guys!!!
A fine example of what a podcast should be – Snecker – 5 Stars – Great Britain
Gary and Margaret are clearly passionate about what they do and sum up an image of a couple of contented beekeepers, sharing their passion with the wider world, broadcasting from some sort of kiwi nirvana where the gentle hum of Apis Mellifera is occasionally interrupted by the sharp crack of a hive tool opening a super, overflowing with golden honey. It would seem that in kiwimana-land, everything is indeed, Awesome”. Interspersed with humour.
Awesome Podcast!!! – Scuba Sarah and Tyler – 5 Stars – United States of America
I am a beginner beekeeper from the Willamette Valley area of Oregon in the USA. I have listened to nearly all of these episodes and they are all full of valuable information for beginner and experienced beekeepers alike. They interview many beekeepers from around the world on their podcast where they share stories about beekeeping. Although many of the people interviewed on the podcast are expert beekeepers, they also interview beekeepers with all levels of experience which I have found particularly valuable. The person being interviewed on the podcast is asked the same group of questions (most of the time) regardless of who they are. I find the different answers people give to these questions very valuable and interesting. When you ask a beekeeper a question, they rarely just give you an answer, they tell you a story. The Folks at Kiwimana HQ are always trying to improve upon different beekeeping techniques and equipment to allow people to be more successful. They test products and talk about their findings on the podcast and if they can't find something they like, they invent their own. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Please review our podcast on Itunes?.
Would you love to get an email telling you when we publish new podcasts and blog posts? Please signup to our FREE newsletter HERE
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Get the Free App for your phone or Tablet
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- I’m the Yappy BeeMan – Removing Bees in Alabama – KM120 - February 21, 2018
- Beekeeping Bonanza 2018 – Bonus Show – KM119B - February 14, 2018
- Beekeeping Bonanza 2018 – KM119 - February 7, 2018