This is Episode One Hundred and thirty four of our beekeeping podcast. This week we are talking to Paul and Tracey from London.
We are Gary and Margaret, we love Honey bees, we are kiwimana and we are Beekeepers who live in the Waitakere Ranges, on the Wild West coast of Auckland, in New Zealand.
kiwimana is a place where the beekeeping community can share a conversation and connect.
…we also – as if that wasn't enough – build and sell beekeeping supplies, we teach beginner Beekeepers and provide beekeeper services and advice. And we are the “beesknees” Club, Facebook group
Great to have you joining us, we know life is busy for you so we appreciate that you have taken the time to join us today – thanks so much for beeing part of the kiwimana buzz.
This podcast was made possible thanks to our Patrons, especially this month we would like to thank Malcolm T. Sanford
Malcolm has been supporting the kiwimana buzz since February 2018
Check out Malcolm's Beekeeping newsletter ‘Apis Information Resource News' HERE
Thanks for your support Malcolm!!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a small payment if you make a purchase using these links.
The interview was recorded in August 2018
Paul and Tracey are Beekeeping friends from South London, who are the hosts of The Beehive Jive Podcast. We talk about how they keep bees despite the English weather.
Here is what you will discover (Now with Times!!!)
- Why Paul doesn't bother with Honey Competitions 00:04:12
- The National Honey Show in the UK 00:04:35
- Beelining with Tom Seeley 00:05:17
- Bumble Bees in the UK 00:06:06
- Neonicotinoids in England 00:07:51
- What got Tracey and Paul Started in Beekeeping 00:10:26
- The Beekeeping Associations network is amazing 00:11:25
- Tracey runs a Basic Beekeeping Course 00:12:32
- The before the Internet Beekeeper 00:14:28
- Why people love the Beehive Jive 00:16:01
- What transformed the way Paul Keeps Bees 00:16:39
- Traceys Angry Bees 00:18:20
- Tracey Does Bee Safari Experiences 00:21:38
- The second season is when Beekeeping Starts 00:23:05
- Tracey has a Bee Gym 00:25:39
- How does Paul Treat his Bees? 00:26:40
- Did the recent Heatwave effect bees in the UK 00:32:44
- Why are Beekeepers Obsessed by the weather 00:35:07
- Tracey's Queen Burial process 00:36:18
- What does Paul's Handbag have on it 00:42:41
- Did Tracey keep bees in Australia? 00:42:49
- Whats the greatest challenge facing beekeepers? 00:44:17
- Is foul brood still treated in the UK? 00:45:22
Links / Resources mentioned this week
- The Beehive Jive blog/podcast is HERE
Find them on Apple Podcasts HERE
- Follow them on Twitter HERE
- Join the Croydon Beekeepers’ Association HERE
- The National Honey Show Talks are on YouTube HERE
- Dave Goulsons book about Bumble Bees “A Sting in the Tail” can be found HERE
- Honeybee Democracy by Thomas D. Seeley can be bought HERE
The Sustainable Apiary by Mike Palmer Video is HERE
- The Bee Colony as a Honey Factory by Tom Seeley Video is HERE
- Our interview with Roger Patterson can be found HERE
- Tracey Does Bee Safari Experiences, learn more HERE
- Oxalic acid, the varroa mite and me Oxalic acid, the varroa mite and me
- Don't freak out when you find a queen cell
- Why beekeeping is sometimes like being in Lord of the Rings
- You don’t buy honey from the supermarkets in Queensland
- People shouldn’t give up too quickly
- Tracy’s queen funeral tradition honours the queens work,
Help keep the kiwimana buzz going via patreon
The kiwimana buzz is made possible by our support from our amazing patrons who value what we do.
If you also value what we do, please consider supporting us with, what you think we are worth to you.
If you value what we do please consider supporting us by visiting our patreon page HERE
Please Subscribe to the ShowSo did you enjoy that show ?...did you find something useful you can use in your beekeeping work or help keep you company as you work your bees??? Yes?
Then You can have the next show to automagically appear on your podcast listening device, simple to subscribe.
Visit http://kiwi.bz/subscribe to discover ways you can subscribe to the show.
Subscribing to the show is Totaly FREE
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via Google Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- Hand Bells, Singles by InspectorJ via FreeSound.org
- cl_funky_b1 by craqs via FreeSound.org
- Guitar chord rhythm 2 by Kaponja via FreeSound.org
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Disappointment All Round – KM144 - June 5, 2019
- Q and A –Finding Bees and stopping wasps – KM143 - May 22, 2019
- Beekeeping in the Hawkes Bay with Beekeeper John Berry – KM142 - May 12, 2019