This is Episode One Hundred and Twenty two of our beekeeping podcast.
We are Gary and Margaret, we love Honey bees, we are kiwimana and we are Beekeepers who live in the Waitakere Ranges, on the Wild West coast of Auckland, in New Zealand.
kiwimana is a place where the beekeeping community can share a conversation and connect and in this episode we talk to Les Crowder from Austin, Texas.
..we also – as if that wasn’t enough – build and sell beekeeping supplies, we teach beginner Beekeepers and provide beekeeper services and advice. And we are the “beesknees” Club, Facebook group
Great to have you joining us, we know life is busy for you so we appreciate that you have taken the time to join us today – thanks so much for beeing part of the kiwimana buzz,
This podcast was made possible thanks to our Patrons, especially this month we would like to thank MeadDrinkr Tysen
MeadDrinkr has been supporting the kiwimana buzz since October 2016
Tysen has a podcast all about Making Mead, over HERE
Thanks for your support!!!
This interview with Les was recorded in Oct 2017.
Les was recommend to us by one of our listeners “Lankford Partin”
If you want to recommend a guest or even yourself visit HERE
Les Crowder is a Beekeeper originally from New Mexico, he has devoted his adult life to the study and care of honeybees. He is dedicated to finding organic and natural solutions for problems commonly treated with chemicals. He enjoys keeping bees in Top Bar Beehives is also the co-author of the book “Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health”
He started beekeeping when he was fifteen by picking up a swarm with his Granddad in New Mexico.
Here is what you will discover
For your reference we now include times for the conversation points, Some podcast players allow you to click on the times to jump to that section.
- What has Les Been Working on 00:02:52
- You Grew up in New Mexico / Now in Austin 00:03:08
- Is Austin a great place to Live? 00:03:21
- Do you have africanized bees in Austin? 00:03:49
- Tell us about the We all Rise Together Project 00:04:30
- Do you think Man will ever realise we are all connected? 00:10:18
- What Gives Les Hope for the world 00:12:08
- 75% of the world?s Honey Contains Neonicotinoids 00:15:01
- Seed Collectors being Sued by Monsanto 00:22:25
- Les got involved in writing Legislation in New Mexico 00:24:33
- You can rely on your Government to change the environment 00:27:26
- Can you Grow Bananas in Austin? 00:30:42
- How do Les's Bees get on in Austin? 00:31:32
- Bee Audacious Beekeeping by Tom Seeley 00:32:59
- Why Les only Keeps Top Bar Bee Hives Now 00:34:24
- Mud, Blood and Beer in our Eyes 00:36:12
- People before Profit and Corporate Charters 00:40:51
- A Universal Income for all 00:44:06
- Does any society today resemble a Bee Colony? 00:46:42
- Does Les know of any area that don't treat for Mites and still have bees? 00:49:54
Resources mentioned in the show
- Argentina: The Country That Monsanto Poisoned
- A worldwide survey of neonicotinoids in honey
- Joel Forman MD – American Academy of Pediatrics Weighs In For the First Time on Organic Foods for Children
- Eﬀects of coumaphos on queen rearing in the honey bee, Apis mellifera by Pettis J.S., Collins A.M.,Wilbanks R., Feldlaufer M.F. (2004)
- Interview we did with Tom Theobald
- Tom Seeley – Audacious Idea Four: Small Hive Beekeeping
If you think organic food is expensive, have you priced cancer lately?Joel Salatin Founder of Polyface Farms
Full Transcription of Interview
If you enjoyed this show, then please subscribe to the show in your podcast app or even download our free App that is available for Phones and Tablets.
Please Subscribe to the ShowThe great thing about podcasts is that you can subscribe and the next show will automatically download to your listening device.
Get the Free App for your phone or Tablet
Other Ways to subscribe to The kiwimana Buzz...Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
Click here to subscribe via RSS
You can also subscribe via Stitcher
We are also on I Heart Radio
- blues.loop03.wav by dobroide via via FreeSound.org
Latest posts by Gary Fawcett (see all)
- Question Time *Bonus* – KM126B - August 5, 2018
- Lots to Bee Getting on With! – KM126 - July 28, 2018
- Beekeeping in the Hills of Wellington – We talk to Jim Hepburn – KM125 - July 18, 2018